It feels weird (and spoilt) to say, but I wasn't expecting much from my 4-day weekend in Thailand... As a girl who's always diarising her next mammoth trip in her mind - often when the current trip is still in progress - I really didn't think it was enough time to really relax, soak in a place, or feel truly satisfied.
B and I decided to jet off for this small slice of bliss, purely because such whimsical decisions are possible now that we live in Asia. In Australia, a trip to Thailand is often a much larger production, requiring a longish flight, a week off, a spray tan, etc.
A last-minute decision also meant we had to book a hotel at the eleventh hour, and scored a huge tropical suite for a fraction of the price (planning is overrated!)
There were other highlights - I miraculously didn't fall ill (a common occurrence when I travel - however I always seem to be the last one to get sick at home - weird), B was in top form (he surprised me with champagne on arrival and all sorts of romantic embellishments) and - best of all - I discovered if you have so little time to enjoy a place, you tend to appreciate everything more.
My ten Thailand experiences (in 4 days or less!):
- The most amazing hotel suite I have ever stayed in... for a laughable cost
- Special mentions: Our outdoor rain shower and huge patio
- Our two resident frogs who kept watch for crazy tourists outside our suite
- The tastiest Pina Coladas I've ever had (thanks bargirl!)
- Getting massaged for next to nothing on the beach
- (Of course) The food!
- B's thoughtful romantic gestures (Swoon. Stop. And swoon again)
- Feeling inspired to get up early and watch the sun come up
- Crystal clear, warm, ocean water
- Being only 3 hours from home! (by one of those really fast flying things)
I hope you had a great weekend!